In recent years, it has been noticeable that the technique of research and development as well as technological development is “open innovation”. Furthermore, the assignment of rights or preparation of licensing of patents (open patents) and other intellectual property, the smooth transfer between companies, universities and public research facilities, and the active creation and development of new products by middle/small size companies is becoming increasingly.
In an environment such as that, it is our duty to accelerate the circulation of our client’s intellectual property, and assist their intellectual property and business strategies. As for services in relation to the transfer of technology, our firm gladly provides various services with regard to negotiation and resolution of licensing as well as buying/selling of intellectual property for companies, universities and etc.
Mr. Toshiro KURODA, patent attorney ,
Specific Services (as listed below)
1. Consultation and Negotiation Services Providing a Multifaceted Approach to Technology Transfer
(1) Understanding the properties required for commercialization - technology, patents, know-how etc.
It is vital to have a full understanding of the technologies required for industrialization and commercialization. Firstly, it is essential to analyze and examine the network of patents belonging to one's own company, determine the technologies and peripheral technologies required for industrialization or commercialization, and identify which technologies one is currently lacking. Next, one must find out if these technologies are protected by patents, and if so, identify the holder of said patents. Essentially, the main focus should not be on acquiring the patents themselves, but on working to purchase or license said patents, in order to acquire the protected technology (or the usage rights thereof).
In addition, even if one acquires the technologies in question, one must be in a position to utilize them. Accordingly, when purchasing or licensing a patent it is also important to acquire the know-how, methods and manuals necessary for production and sales. In these cases, entering into a confidentiality contract should be considered. "HARAKENZO more " treats technology, patents, know-how etc. as elements of a cohesive entity, and we enable our clients to make full use of their true value by providing support for effective technology transfer.
(2) The importance of cooperation with third parties
There are three essential roles that must be fulfilled in order for industrialization to take place: the technology developer; the technology promoter and marketer; and the technology implementer. To give an example, the roles may be divided as follows. A research institution develops a technology. A corporation licenses the technology for manufacture and, by establishing the product's safety or holding briefing sessions and exhibitions, recruits buyers who will sell or manufacture said technology. A trading company acquires the right to sell the product, and thus has the chance to expand their business by increasing their sales.
(3) Negotiation partners
The importance of one's partners when engaging in business transactions is obvious. When assigning technology, it is vital to partner with members of the management or planning sectors who can come up with ways to put said technology to use, and to convey a concept for commercialization. The management and planning sectors are able to conceptualize and realize ways to bring out a technology's true value, and also make qualified decisions.
(4) Validity of rights
Because technologies are protected by patents, grounds for a patent's invalidation, etc. will have a major influence on the negotiation process, as business dealings regarding the corresponding technology will subsequently be wiped out. "HARAKENZO more " therefore offers a lateral validity search service for patents.
(5) Seeing things from our clients' point of view
As outlined in the above examples, our firm scrutinizes cases from many different angles. However the items that require scrutiny vary depending on the standpoint and circumstances, etc. of the buyer or recipient. "HARAKENZO more " puts itself in the position of our clients to see things from their point of view. This enables us to provide advice leading to technology transfer that fulfills our clients' wishes.
2. Technology Transfer Realization Services
"HARAKENZO more " provide consulting services for the rights related to intellectual property or contractual agreements of technical trade secrets, as well as representation during negotiation and conclusion of licensing contract agreements and other contracts. (However, if other laws restrict the business we will unfortunately be unable to assist you.)
(※The above 4 items are rights acquired after registration, however during the application period it may be possible to license.)
- Utility Models
- Trade and Technical Secrets, Technical Know-how
- New Plant Varieties
- Circuitry Layout
- Copyrights (works stipulated in copyright law)
Not only between domestic Japanese companies and universities, but it may also be possible to contract a license between Japanese and non-Japanese companies and universities.
Advantages of Introducing Intellectual Property
- Potential for industrialization/commercialization in a shorter period of time in comparison to developing the intellectual property necessary for new products and new businesses in-house( faster industrialization / commercialization ).
- Relatively low-cost licensing fees regarding research and development costs in comparison to developing the intellectual property necessary for new products and businesses in-house( reduced investment risk ).
- Saving on research and development costs through the introduction of licensing can be put toward next-generation technological development, thus raising your technological level( improvement in technological capability ).
- Through the introduction of licensed intellectual property your products are protected, and you can protect your market from price wars caused by imitation products, thus strengthening your market competitiveness( acquisition of market competitiveness ).
Advantages of Allowing Third Parties to Use Intellectual Property
- Unused intellectual property simply takes up maintenance costs and is a wasted resource. However, if it is licensed and then used by another company it can become a revenue-generating resource( acquisition of license revenue ).
- Universities and other institutions can increase their regional presence by licensing intellectual property to local companies, thus helping to raise the technological level of the region and contributing to its revitalization( acquisition of licensing revenue ).
- The increasing number of companies licensing intellectual property and putting technology to practical use is proof of high-level / excellence in technological innovation, and can generate positive publicity as it helps to improve the image of corporations and universities( appeal to technological capability ).
Research enquiries / requests
Please contact us via the below e-mail address or fax number regarding any enquiries or requests.
- Fax: +81-6-6351-5664
As fees will vary depending on the type of request, we will provide an estimate after receiving your enquiry. It is also possible for us to provide services within a monetary range you propose.